The Good Shepherd Pool opened in 1921, through a donation from Mrs. Wellington Willson Cummer (Ada).  Her grandson, Baby Roe, had drowned in the St. Johns River and she wanted a safe space where children could learn to swim.  Through the years, the Pool has become a true community outreach ministry by expanding our activities to include lap swimming, age group swim team practices, aqua/physical therapy, aqua aerobics, scuba lessons, lifeguard training, and maritime survival training.  Several Olympic swimmers got their start at our Pool.

Good Shepherd (affectionately known as the ”Church of the Good Swimming Pool”) recognizes that swimming is a great low-impact exercise that helps adults (and children) build core strength, flexibility and balance.  

We give thanks to Mrs. Cummer as well as all the individuals (including the estate of Edythe Floyd Pillars) that have made it possible for Good Shepherd to offer the pool and its ministry to the community.